DevSecOps, short for Development, Security, and Operations, is an approach to software development that emphasizes integrating security practices into the DevOps methodology. DevOps focuses on collaboration and automation between software development (Dev) and IT operations (Ops) teams to deliver software applications more efficiently. DevSecOps expands on this by incorporating security as an integral part of the development and operational processes from the outset.
In DevSecOps, security is not treated as an afterthought or a separate phase but is integrated throughout the entire software development lifecycle (SDLC). It involves identifying and addressing security issues early on in the development process, continuously monitoring and assessing security risks, and implementing security controls and measures at each stage of the pipeline.
The key principles of DevSecOps include:
- Automation: Using automation tools and technologies to incorporate security checks and processes into the development and deployment pipeline. This ensures that security measures are consistently applied and reduces the potential for human error.
- Collaboration: Encouraging collaboration and communication between development, security, and operations teams. This allows for a shared understanding of security requirements, improved knowledge sharing, and faster response to security incidents or vulnerabilities.
- Shift-left security: Moving security practices and testing earlier in the SDLC, starting from the design and development phases. By addressing security early on, potential vulnerabilities can be identified and resolved before they become more difficult and costly to fix later in the process.
- Continuous monitoring and feedback: Implementing continuous security monitoring and feedback loops to detect and respond to security threats in real-time. This involves using security analytics, logging, and monitoring tools to identify and mitigate potential risks.
- Compliance and governance: Incorporating security policies, standards, and regulatory requirements into the development process to ensure compliance and governance. This includes performing regular security audits and assessments.
By integrating security into the DevOps workflow, DevSecOps aims to create a culture where security is everyone’s responsibility, enabling organizations to deliver software faster while maintaining a high level of security and reducing the risk of security breaches or vulnerabilities.
Download & read the complete document below 👇👇👇